Health & Safety Commitment
At Emera Newfoundland & Labrador, the health and safety of our people is more important than any business interest. For this reason, occupational health and safety is a top priority.
To ensure that occupational health and safety standards are being met, Emera Newfoundland & Labrador:
- promotes the highest standards in health and safety to eliminate workplace injury and illness and commits to implementing a health and safety program that is based on the principle that everyone shares the responsibility for health and safety at work.
- is committed to providing a safe and healthy working environment for its employees, contractors and the general public.
- believes that all occupational injuries and illnesses are preventable, that safety must be an integral part of every job and that planning, equipment and appropriate personal behaviour will yield workplace conditions that are incident free.
- believes that all employees and contractors have a responsibility to report safety incidents and to work in a manner that ensures their safety and that of their co-workers and the general public.
- promotes safety knowledge at every opportunity to enhance public safety and prevent personal injuries and damage to property.
- ensures that health and safety considerations are an integral part of day-to-day planning, execution of work and maintenance of tools, machinery, facilities and equipment.
- will comply with this policy and review it annually in consultation with the Joint Occupational Health & Safety Committee.
- co-operates with, and encourages customer participation in the safety program and the development and observance of safe work practices.
- meets or exceeds applicable safety legislation, regulations and manufacturers’ standards and ensures that the prescribed use of equipment and protective devices is followed.
All Emera Newfoundland & Labrador employees work together to ensure the proper implementation of this policy.